Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Leper Colony & The Bush

Today was a very interesting day! My morning started off with a morning devotion, song, and prayer in the children's ward. Staff chapel followed that, then we rounded patients. While I was rounding patients with Melissa and the team, one of the social workers, Lesslie (who I have become really good friends with), came and got me and he asked if I would like to come and visit the leper colony called "New Hope Village". I told him yes, and after tea time (at 10 am all the docs and foreigners have tea and coffee together) we went with a health department team by automobile to the village. When we arrived at the village, I saw people with missing fingers and toes. These are all people who are post leprosy patients that because they have missing limbs, they cannot work for themselves so the hospital has this village for them. Some were even blind, but they were some of the nicest people you could ever meet.  The village chief opened up with a song and they all sang together. I gave a short devotion, sang a song called "He'll Find A Way", and had prayer with them. After that, the head of the health department told the people (there was about 17 of them) that I would be in a room over by where they do the wound dressings if they would like to meet with me for counsel and pray for their needs.  While I was there, the chief came and wanted to meet me. He got out his bible and wanted me to show him the scripture that I did the devotion from and he read it to me. It was such a special moment between him and me. I will never forget it. I then watched on while the health staff dressed the wounds and talked with the people. I couldn't help but think of the scriptures that talk about Jesus cleansing the lepers.

After I got back to the hospital, I checked on my little boy Emanuel.  He had his pelvic fracture surgery today. He came through surgery good, and was resting in his bed.  One of the missionaries that works with a primitive Muslim tribe out in the "bush" came and asked if I would like to accompany him in a meeting he was having with the village leadership about putting in running water in their village.  We drove about as far as we could, then hiked the rest of the way to what felt like the top of the world.  The Fulani people are an islolated Muslim tribe that do not associate much with the outside world, but because the missionary Tom, who I went with, does these water projects, it has opened up doors. While we were walking through the bush, it seemed that people would just come out of nowhere.  Everyone was very nice and shook our hands.  They wear the traditional attire that you would think that they would wear including head coverings and dresses for the men.  We were allowed to visit two of the compounds which consisted of mud huts and a couple of nicer yet primitive buildings. Some of the men have more than one wife and there were many kids around the area.  The mountain views from their village were some of the most breathtaking views that I have ever seen in my life! I didn't have my camera with me, but I wasn't for sure how they would feel about me having a camera there anyway.

I finished the day with a short hike with Dr. Palmer, and ate supper with Melissa and some other volunteers.  Thank you all for praying for the children's ward. God is doing some amazing things here, and we are seeing answers to your prayers! God bless you all!

Jeff
 The village sign as you approach the leper compound

 The building where the people meet

 Post leprosy patients

 My friend Lesslie pushes the wheelchair for one who can't do it himself

 The place where I met individually with the people

 Chief Michaels reading 1 Peter 5:6-7

 Chief and me

 Dressing the wounds

 This is Jennifer...she is the one with the kidney disease and showing some improvement

 Melissa with her team rounding on patients

My little friends in the childrens ward

No comments:

Post a Comment